It’s been such a long time I am not sure where to start. I guess an apology would be the first thing in order – after all I can’t have prompted so many people to ready my blog and then not post for so long!
- the African Unity (AU) came amid much fan fare, excitement and traffic jams; did miss Ghaddafi’s motorcade which was supposed to have consisted of nearly 60 + vehicles, including his own private ambulance and generator. Heard that there was quite a big crowd gathered down by
- The new Ghana cedis is finally here and I am no longer a ‘millionaire’; feels funny to go to bed one night and wake up the next morning and realise that the amount in your bank account has been divided by 10,000! A few palpitations of the heart and then you remember – oh yes, the conversion has kicked in. Bread now sells for GH 1.00 and not c10,000 it was before. Prices have slowly inched up though proving the advertising jingle incorrect – the value is NOT the same. With the new
- MTN has rolled into down amidst yellow streamers fluttering from almost every available tree, post and stump. Funny, have been through the whole gamut of owners of this particular cell network – Spacefone, Areeba and MTN – unfortunately in this case ‘the value is the same’ as the service has not gotten any better
- Been a part of the excitement of watching the start of Big Bother Africa series; didn’t realise that it was such a big thing here. Cheered along with the Ghanaians when Kwaku walked in the house
- The damn dam is no longer dammed it seems. Thanks to the rains in the north, the levels have been increasing over the past weeks. I now watch anxiously to see if the levels are increasing rather than decreasing. Though electricity is still rationed, we now have ‘light off’ between 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. on the nights when we are supposed to be out. Last week we had electricity six whole days in a row! Oh the joy! Alas, alas there has been so much loss of property in the Northern part of the country because of the rains
- We bought a puppy! Ok, madness I know but he is so cute – hmmm, I wonder if this means we are settling. Cuteness aside, this damn potty training and him ‘crying’ in the middle of the night still gets on my last nerve.
Could go on and on of course – but will intersperse my memories in between my present day reflections over the next couple of postings.
Been a weird time – a series of unfortunate coincidences I think. Just happy that things seem a lot more settled and am back to being me – albeit a bit older and a bit wiser.