Tuesday, June 26, 2007

How to start a church....

“The art of beginning a church is the art of witnessing, following-up and gathering sheep together” How to Start a Church (2005)


I remember hearing some time ago that Jamaica held the world record for the most number of churches per square mile (though couldn't understand how we didn't get that for the most number of bars!) I doubt we still hold that record (should check). If we do, am sure that Ghana is a close second, with Accra perhaps holding the record for the world capital. Driving in Accra any Sunday morning you are sure to see a number of 'churches' in locations ranging from under wide spreading trees, to hastily erected tents and canopies, to the more grandiose structures, complete with posing pastors splashed across billboards.

Religion is present in everything - from the business signs, to the names of the buses, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see a book(let) entitled " How to Start Your Church"! I had been seeing this little booklet in my gas station supermarket for weeks. The first couple of times I saw it, I smiled and wondered who would buy such a book - little did I know. After a while my curiosity started to get the better of me. Not for the life of me could I figure what the contents could be. Then yesterday just said, ok, now I really need to read what’s inside. No, not because I have a desire to start my own, but I really had to see what this religious DYI booklet could actually advise. Rather than being hilarious - as I must honestly say I expected it to be - it was quite down to earth, and with a couple good lessons that many of these self-proclaimed evangelists should take heed of, touching on everything from finances to faith.

Curiosity satisfied, have given it to one of my colleagues who is a reverend in his church. Not sure if he is ready to break away and start his own yet, but who knows, may come in handy for him someday.

No comments: