Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Life, Living and Loving...

Read two great books this weekend as a part of my island living getway. The first I have just finished and truth be told am tempted to start all over again this very instant. The next I have just started, and already trying to change my usual mindsets.

The one I completed was Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho - he has recently become a favorite author, perhaps winning me over first with Brida, and later Veronica Must Die, but this has to be his best to date. It explores love, life, and choices in a way I think few others could master. The experience , as shared by a prostitute, Maria, left me feeling hopeful, that deep within in each of us there is a love so pure, and so sacred that it takes courage and an unshakable faith to find.

The other I am reading is somewhat related - its about belief in one's self, and linking and fulfilling positive thoughts to live the life one deserves to have. It's called The Secret and is written by Rhonda Byrne.

Won't attempt to give a 'blog report' of any of the two, but yes, I do recommend them. Also wanted to share the following poem which Coelho spoke to in his book, and which I also googled online to find out more. It's a beautiful poem, full of strength, depth and one which I think all women - and men - should read. As the Egyptian Goddess of motherhood and fertility, I think it was a most apt poem to Isis. Enjoy.

Hymn to Isis

For I am the first and the last
I am the venerated and the despised
I am the prostitute and the saint
I am the wife and the virgin
I am the mother and the daughter
I am the arms of my mother
I am barren and my children are many
I am the married woman and the spinster
I am the woman who gives birth and she
who never procreated
I am the consolation for the pain of birth
I am the wife and the husband
And it was my man who created me
I am the mother of my father
I am the sister of my husband
And he is my rejected son
Always respect me
For I am the shameful and the magnificent one

- 3rd or 4th century BCE, discovered in Nag Hammadi


P.S. : though this may reveal my age does any one remember the cartoon Isis? I remember watching it on TV in Jamaica when I was much, much younger!
P.P.S: interestingly the entry for this week on Paulo Coelho's blog (October 12th) is entitled ' The Feminine Face of God' - an apt reminder that I am still to publish Nana's viewpoints on the subject as I said I would. Have a look see at Coelho's interview - even more interesting are some of the comments from his readers!

5 comments:

Maya Mame said...

You must, must, must read the Alchemist next!

The Author said...

Now I must explore Paulo Coelho more closely. And you were right about the poem. I am rapidly liking it a whole lot.

Denise said...

Hi Maya, am planning on stopping and getting a whole set of his books in Nairobi. I have a couple at home already so anytime we need to do some bk swaps let me know. Ok?

Denise said...

Nana, I can see you liking the poem - there is something about the style that reminds me of your way of writing too. I have a couple of Coehlho's books - you may borrow if you'd like.

Maya Mame said...

Sounds fantastic!