Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Island Living....

So granted its not the Caribbean Sea, and granted the island is question is not Jamaica, but for this week I will enjoy once again the feel of island living. I am actually in the Seychelles for a workshop/conference. It's the first time for a lot of things :
  • First time in the Seychelles and loving it! Though I am shamelessly patriotic to the bone, I wouldn't be lying when I say Jamaica is a beautiful island, but hmm, am now convinced we have a close competitor. Feels like heaven to have traded in the grime, muck, plastic (carrier) bags and unmentionables I have come to associate with the beaches in Ghana (especially in Accra!) to those that are pristine, white sands and azure waters!
  • First time being in the Indian Ocean - having been accustomed now to the rough pounding of the Atlantic, the gentle break of the waves remind me so much of home;
  • First time attending a Rotary Institute - yes, I am a Rotarian. At this Institute there are over 30 countries attending. Will be interesting I am sure.
  • First time for the immigration officer to have met a Jamaican national - he was so surprised, and mentioned that in his eight years he had never processed a Jamaican passport before. Told me he had a million and one questions, but alas, alas no time.
Already so much to blog about - actually met King Prempeh's grand-daughter today! - but will do it in snippets. Am trying not to yield to the temptation of writing one long summary! In the mean time, back to the languidness of island living.
Picture by me : view from my hotel room

5 comments:

Kajsa Hallberg Adu said...

yes you are NOT are around. At aaaall :) Enjoy and tell us all about it!

Maya Mame said...

I am soooo jealous! Enjoy!
Want to hear all about why he's never seen a Jamaican passport in his time there.

Denise said...

Hmm, you are right Kajsa - have not been around at all, and have been missing in action in more ways than one. Promise - yet again - will link when I am back

Denise said...

Hey Maya - long time! Hope you and baby are good, been lurking on your blog so I know you are. Smile.
As for the immigration officer, I guess there are few Jamaicans visiting Seychelles. There is lots of reggae music here though, including their own local versions which sound so cool.

Anonymous said...

Denise,
I enjoy reading about your experiences.
Rohan